30 Powerful Affirmations for More Body Positivity
Body image is a very personal, emotional, and sensitive topic. In today’s world, we are constantly being bombarded with certain beauty and body standards. Standards that feel unattainable to most of us. And while we’ve made progress regarding body positivity and diversity, it can still be hard to find adequate representation of who you are and what you look like in advertisements and mainstream media.
While the internal pressure you feel to adhere to these external standards isn’t anything new, it seems to grow exponentially each year once the days are getting longer and temperatures warmer. Wherever you look, all you seem to see are flawless, hair-free, young, glowing, size 0 bodies in swimwear. So no matter how happy you generally are with yourself and your body, you can’t help but wonder – even just for a split second – if there’s something more you should be doing to get yourself summer-ready.
Now before you go and try yet another diet, workout regimen, miracle shake, or any other quick fix – how about this year, you start by getting your mindset ready for summer (and the rest of your life, really) through body positivity?
Making the case for a healthy body image and body positivity
There have been rising voices and growing support in popular culture and on social media that advocate for body positivity. In essence, body positivity is about self-acceptance and loving yourself fully, without any conditions and the main message of the movement is that “all bodies are beautiful.”
A body-positive attitude is about embracing your body as it is. Depending on your relationship with your body it can mean: appreciating your body in spite of flaws, feeling confident about your body, loving yourself, and accepting your body’s shape and size as it is. Furthermore, body positivity means enjoying the body you have and not beating yourself up over changes that happen naturally due to aging, pregnancy, or lifestyle choices.
To feel good in your own skin and live life fully, you need a healthy body image and an overall appreciation of your body and all the amazing work it is doing for you every single day.
At the same time, body positivity doesn’t mean not wanting or striving for positive changes regarding your body. It’s much more about how you frame those desires and the place they are coming from. Are they arising out of love, nourishment, and support for your body, or are they coming from a place of hate, punishment, and comparison?
The truth is when you don’t accept your body for what it is, you are rejecting it with the result that you are perpetuating a negative cycle. Dwelling on what you don’t like about yourself only solidifies exactly those elements which ultimately leads to more dissatisfaction.
Or in short: hating your body won’t get you anywhere. Just think about it: If you’re having negative thoughts about your body every time you look at it, how could it ever evolve in a positive way? In order to feel good in your own skin and live life fully, you really need a healthy body image and an overall appreciation of your body and all the amazing work it is doing for you every single day.
How to cultivate a body-positive attitude
With all the past years of conditioning, the answer to cultivating a body-positive attitude is not as simple as ‘just stop judging yourself!’ There’s no magic pill that will make you instantly go from ‘I hate how I look’ to ‘I love my body unquestionably.’ Learning to truly accept your body is an ongoing journey.
Body positivity first starts in the mind. The key is to reframe your thinking: Exchange toxic thoughts with new thought patterns based on self-acceptance rather than judgment. It’s important to observe your own thoughts with honesty, love, and compassion and slowly work on replacing the negative thoughts with positive sentiments and inspired action.
That’s exactly where affirmations come into play. Affirmations are positive statements about yourself that you repeat to yourself. The repetition of these messages over time and with conscious effort can help reshape the way you think. Therefore, affirmations can be a helpful tool in your journey towards improved body image and cultivating a body-positive attitude.
Be a force of love as often as you can and turn away negative thoughts whenever you feel them surface.
– Wayne Dyer
But it’s not just the words themselves, it’s how you say them. In order to get the most out of your affirmations, make sure that as you recite each one, you are repeating it with conviction and self-love in your voice. Be mindful to put a lot of positive energy and emotion into each word to supercharge your affirmations with intention.
To help get you started, I’ve put together a list of 30 body-positive affirmations that you can easily incorporate into your daily self-care routine. From the list below, choose at least 3 affirmations that really resonate with you. Write them down and repeat them out loud while looking at yourself in the mirror. Allow yourself to really see them, hear them, and feel them. Do this every morning and every night before bed and see your new reality manifest in front of your eyes: a healthier, happier you!
Love your body with these body-positive affirmations
1. Today I feel safe within my body.
2. I am enough.
3. My body is worth celebrating.
4. I flow and transform every day through this beautiful vessel.
5. There are no limitations on what my body can do for me today.
6. My body is precious; it allows me to live my best life.
7. I love myself more today than I did yesterday and tomorrow, I will love myself even more.
8. My body is a temple. I treat it with love and respect.
9. I am so much more than what I see.
10. Today I choose to feel good. There is nothing more important than feeling good.
11. It’s okay for me to like myself. It’s okay for me to love myself.
12. I trust the wisdom of my body.
13. My body is capable of doing amazing things.
14. Accepting myself as I am right now is the first step in changing, growing, and evolving.
15. I love my body and I love myself.
16. How I look on the outside is not my identity. How I feel on the inside is what matters.
17. My body is a gift.
18. I deserve to be treated with love and respect – by myself and by others.
19. I am grateful for what my body is capable of doing.
20. My body is a source of strength, not insecurity or shame.
21. I unconditionally love and accept myself.
22. I am beautiful.
23. My body is perfect for me.
24. My body and I are a team.
25. I am free to be who I really am.
26. My body is worthy of love and respect exactly as it is.
27. I honor and respect my body with nourishing food, positive thoughts, and physical movement.
28. I will no longer be enslaved by labels, thoughts, and feelings that do not belong to me.
29. My body is a blessing.
30. I love who I am right now while becoming an even better version of myself every day.
This list of affirmations is designed to make your journey towards body acceptance easier. Repeating affirmations to yourself might feel awkward to begin with, but over time it will help to reframe your thinking as far as your body image is concerned.
If you have any favorites or have your own experience with affirmations and body image, I’d love to hear in the comments below!
Sending you hugs and support on your journey wherever you are 🤍